- API Management
- Try It
How to Rock your first Hackathon: Tools and Resources
She went through some of the key resources anyone should have ready (not just the ladies) for your first hackathon:
Learn To Code Resources
- TryGit: a great way to learn how to use Git versioning, the go-to versioning tool for most hackathon teams.
- Codecademy APIs: get up and running on APIs in no time.
- Learn Ruby The Hard Way: but ultimately, the best way.
- Vim for Rails Developers: learn to edit your Ruby on Rails code easily.
With text editors, you should look for plugins and cross platform compatibility. Adria recommends:
- Sublime (for Mac, Windows, Linux): most of the group agreed that this was their favorite text editing tool.
- Textmate: for Mac.
- Komodo Edit: for Mac, Windows and Linux.
- TextWrangler: for Mac.
These are essential for mocking up your app/web service:
Adria recommended not waiting too long to consolidate front end and back end files at hackathons. Having a central repository for all files helps make this seamless.
These are all platforms that can host your hacks. Select based on programming language/platform you’re building on.
Mobile Development - for mobile app building:
- JQuery Mobile
- Xcode (iOS)
- AppCode (Xcode alternative)
- Eclipse (Android)
- Tiggzi (mobile development platform) - check out Tiggzi's offer for Mashery developers while you're at it!
Web Design Templates that are responsive and mobile:
Surveys - a great way to get customer validation and data for your pitch:
Finally, here’s Adria’s slides from that night to get you motivated to attend a hackathon - after all, now you have all the tools you need to rock it!
Here are Adria’s slides from that night to get you motivated to attend or host and rock a hackathon.