You are here
Building a Business Case for an API Program
A Case Study With The College Board
Video: The Business of APIs Conference 2010
ABOUT THIS VIDEO
Danny Boice, Director of New Media at The College Board, discusses his lessons learned over the past year on building a successful API program. From 'average Joe' API conference attendee in 2009 to corporate API superhero, Danny shares his step by step approach - from building internal awareness & support to building a business case, to creating a community of both internal and external developers. Learn the critical steps needed to effectively determine what type of API program makes sense for your corporation, sell an API concept to the right people and put in the key elements in for success.
- The Problem – what should The College Board do with all this great data
- The Game Changer – in addition to internal investments, we needed to build an external community of developers
- The Mission – educate and sell The College Board leadership on this mission, align corporate strategy with API value, and identify the target audience
- Quick Win – Perform low risk, inexpensive, quick, tangible project to demonstrate the value of your API program and build momentum
- Always Measure Success – Always know where you are and where you are going
"One of the main ways that we managed to grow...was to have an open API strategy."
Danny Boice, Director of New Media